Assumptions Log Template
This one-page Assumptions Log template provides for documenting assumptions, validating them, and tracking their validation status. It is used throughout the project life cycle and among other things, it supports project risk management.
The Assumptions Log is a project document designed to capture assumptions that are made throughout the project life cycle. Our Assumptions Log template is developed by a PMP certified project manager to support good practices in project management. For example, it provides for documenting, tracking, and validating assumptions. Specifically, it:
- begins with a section that captures relevant project information,
- provides for assigning identification numbers to the assumptions,
- prompts the Project Manager to record the date that assumptions are identified and to define each assumption,
- includes a section for assigning assumptions to a project team member for validation and a section for tracking the validation status of assumptions,
- includes a section for recording whether the assumptions are valid, and
- provides a section for capturing the final assumption status and relevant comments.
Who Creates the Assumptions Log?
Typically, the Project Manager is responsible for logging assumptions. Of course, doing so must account for the input of various project team members, other stakeholders, and the project sponsor.
Because this Assumptions Log template is editable, sections can be added or deleted to tailor its’ fit. It is the Project Manager’s responsibility to consider all relevant factors that may affect the project and tailor the template accordingly.
What Are the Inputs?
There are numerous inputs to the development of an Assumptions Log, including the Project Charter, the Project Management Plan, government or industry standards, legal requirements, organizational culture and management practices, experience and expertise of the Project Manager, historical information, and more.
Make Work Easier
We know this template will make your work easier. Want an even a better solution? Consider getting The Practitioner’s Book of Project Management Templates. Our e-book contains a complete set of editable, project management templates. It expedites development of project management plans and supports project managers throughout the project life cycle. By the way, it includes this Assumptions Log template.